In 1905 Arizona cattle baron, Walter Vail, purchased four Ranchos totaling 87,500 acres. The headquarters of his ranch was located along Temecula Creek in an area that is now bordered by Temecula Parkway. The area Vail selected to headquarter his operations has a history dating back to 1844.Pablo Apis purchased an area of land in 1844 along the Emigrant trail located along Temecula Creek. In 1860, a trading post was established by an entrepreneur from Germany, Louis Wolf. Wolf’s Store became the center of the community equipped with a general store, stables, a hotel, post office, and school. These same buildings are where Vail selected to headquarter his ranch.